• Name: Jaroslaw (J.) Michalczuk
• Age: 25
• Degree: BSc Pure Maths with Statistics
• Company: Deloitte
• Job title: Quality and Risk Analyst
• Where are you from originally?: Poland
Learn more about the Welsh Financial Services Graduate Programme
• What appealed to you about the WFSGP?
For the person right after the university, the opportunity of doing the master’s degree and gaining work experience from leading financial institutions in Cardiff was the “must do” starting point of my financial career.
• Did you ever consider a career in financial services?
Yes, that was always my plan. Especially during the undergraduate course where I chose the analytical and statistical modules as the basis for mu studies to prepare for the future financial roles.
• Tell us about your experience of the Programme so far?
Challenging, but in a positive way. Good combination of academic work, day-to-day job and preparation of the Welsh Finance Conference put me out of my comfort zone countless times, helping to further improve my communication & networking, project management skills and financial environment awareness.
• Have you been able to apply skills from your degree?
Yes, especially when I was tasked with project and human management related duties, which I had never experienced prior to now.
• What are your future plans and how has the programme helped to reach your goals?
The programme managed to get me in the starting position, from which I can further develop my financial career in analytical and statistical roles. I have recently secured a position within Deloitte in Cardiff and looking forward to further developing career.
• What is the best thing about the WFSGP?
The opportunity of experiencing the financial services “from the inside” and the possibility of working in four different companies over the two years.
• Are there any tips or advice you would give someone who was thinking about applying for the grad programme?
“Just do it!”
• Any advice for the making the most of the Programme?
Don’t be afraid of asking questions. The graduate programme is an excellent opportunity to learn professional skills and gain knowledge which a normal master’s degree could not offer.